Thursday 22 March 2012

Foundations - week 2 self-control

For those of you who were hoping that this wasn't going to become a blog about me training my dogs, you'll have to put up with me for a few more weeks.

But to keep you interested, you should know that I was in Ethiopia last weekend, revisiting "home" in Dire Dawa with my awesome ex-housemate and friend Kaja. We cooked up a scheme when she was on her R&R in Tanzania about two months ago, to go back to Dire Dawa for the weekend and re-live our old weekends. It's been 1.5 years since I left Dire Dawa and longer for her. We wanted to see what's changed and what's stayed the same.

These boys offered to pose for a photo while I was taking a picture of the sieves behind them.

I documented (or tried to) a good deal of our weekend with my handy Zoom. Now I'm sorting through the tape and putting together a pak on our trip so stay tuned for some audio gems from our weekend to DD.

But back in Dar, the second session of our dog training course had begun and we have a new theme - self-control. This is one of the areas where we will definitely benefit. Hopefully taking the baby steps of "leaving" the treats until they've been offered will also translate into less cat chasing (poor Cicero does get a a few good runs in every day) and not "mugging" the cat food bowl (which is basically like hitting the jackpot since cat food is one of the primary food rewards I use with them.




No comments:

Post a Comment